Happy Halloween, everyone! All of us here at the shop wish you a fun and safe day full of Halloween fun, if you plan on celebrating Halloween. Whether that involves visiting a Haunted House, going trick-or-treating, playing Halloween themed games, or just waiting at home to hand out candy, we just hope you have a good time out there.
Everyone in the shop was chatting about what we have planned for the evening (many of the plans involved gaming in some fashion - go figure) and we decided it would be fun to make a list of some of our favorite spooky, scary, or otherwise Halloween-y games!
So, take a look below for the list of games we came up with. In no particular order, we’ve got some board games, pc games, console games, and even a good old fashioned party game on here - check it out!
1. Letters from Whitechapel Description from BoardGameGeek.com “The board game Letters from Whitechapel, which plays in 90-150 minutes, takes the players right there. One player plays Jack the Ripper, and his goal is to take five victims before being caught. The other players are police detectives who must cooperate to catch Jack the Ripper before the end of the game…”
2. Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: Jack the Ripper & West End Adventures Description from BoardGameGeek.com “Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: Jack the Ripper & West End Adventures is a standalone expansion to Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective with updated graphics that features ten more cases to be solved in Sherlock Holmes' Victorian-era London, England. A "London Directory", map, and newspaper archives are included with the cases. Included are six independent "West End Adventures" cases (redesigned and updated from the 1995 expansion), and a series of four new cases based on the Jack the Ripper murders.”
3. Hide and Shriek Description from Hideandshriekgame.com “Hide and Shriek is a one vs. one multiplayer romp played out in ten minute matches. Your objective is simple: be a mischievous little rascal and scare your opponent half to death before time runs out! It`s Halloween and the students of magic at Little Springs High and Innsmouth Academy are about to honor an ancient tradition: sneaking into school after midnight, turning themselves invisible, and scaring the living hell out of each other!”
4. Mysterium Description from BoardGameGeek.com “In Mysterium, a reworking of the game system present in Tajemnicze Domostwo, one player takes the role of ghost while everyone else represents a medium. To solve the crime, the ghost must first recall (with the aid of the mediums) all of the suspects present on the night of the murder. A number of suspect, location and murder weapon cards are placed on the table, and the ghost randomly assigns one of each of these in secret to a medium.”
5. The Bloody Inn Description from BoardGameGeek.com “The Bloody Inn is a card game in which you play one member of a family of greedy, murderous innkeepers. At the start of each round, cards are placed face up to fill the inn with guests. Each card carries a cost representing how many cards a player must discard from her hand in order to take an action related to that card. Certain guests have an affinity for particular actions, so those cards return to a player's hand after being discarded. Cards also show how much money, in francs, each guest possesses.”
6. The Fury of Dracula Description from BoardGameGeek.com “The premise of The Fury of Dracula is very similar to Scotland Yard, but with additional rules for combat, events, and encounters. One player secretly controls Dracula while the other three players are Vampire hunters cooperating to locate and defeat him. Dracula must move around the countryside, evading the hunters while leaving minions and encounters for them to uncover in his wake. If he can hide six new Vampires in Europe without the hunters destroying them, the dark prince will be declared victorious and rule the day!”
7. Amnesia: The Dark Descent Description from Amnesiagame.com “Amnesia: The Dark Descent, a first person survival horror. A game about immersion, discovery and living through a nightmare. An experience that will chill you to the core. Amnesia: The Dark Descent puts you in the shoes of Daniel as he wakes up in a desolate castle, barely remembering anything about his past. Exploring the eerie pathways, you must also take part of Daniel's troubled memories. The horror does not only come from the outside, but from the inside as well. A disturbing odyssey into the dark corners of the human mind awaits.”
8. Dead By Daylight Description from Deadbydaylight.com “Dead by Daylight is an asymmetrical multiplayer horror game where one player takes on the role of a brutal Killer and the other four play as Survivors. As a Killer, your goal is to sacrifice as many Survivors as possible. As a Survivor, your goal is to escape and avoid being caught and killed.”
9. Left 4 Dead Description from Wikipedia “Left 4 Dead is an asymmetrical cooperative first-person shooter survival horror video game, developed by Valve South and published by Valve Corporation. Set during the aftermath of a worldwide zombie outbreak, the game pits its four protagonists—dubbed the "Survivors"—against hordes of the infected. There are four game modes: a single-player mode in which allied characters are controlled by AI; a four-player, co-op campaign mode; an eight-player online versus mode; and a four-player survival mode. In all modes, an artificial intelligence (AI), dubbed the "Director", controls level pacing and item placements, in an attempt to create a dynamic experience and increase replay value.”
10. Murder In The Dark Description from Wikipedia “Murder in the Dark refers to a childhood game (also played by adults) in which one person is secretly appointed murderer, another is appointed detective. The detective leaves the room, and in the dark, the murderer "kills" one of the other players, who screams and plays dead. At the sound of the scream, the detective returns to question all the players, in order to determine who is the murderer. All the players must tell the truth, except for the murderer, who must lie.”
Again, we hope you have a wonderful, fun, and safe Halloween if you plan on celebrating. If Halloween’s not your thing, then we wish you an awesome Thursday night!